The Lahinch Golf Club, perched on the Wild Atlantic Way in County Clare, will host the 2019 Irish Open. In fact Lahinch is just one of many globally renowned golf courses nestled on the Wild Atlantic Way. The South West of Ireland is considered by many to have the best concentration of links courses on the planet. There is nowhere better for a group to enjoy great golf, spectacular scenery, excellent food … and an opportunity to relax in some of Ireland’s famous pubs listening to traditional music.
Seven of the best links courses in the South West … and the holes to watch out for :
- Lahinch Golf Club : recently 125 years old, Lahinch will host The 2019 Irish Open. The 6th is a hole of pure beauty playing out to the sea
- Trump Doonbeg : stunning course with views of the Atlantic on 16 holes. The 1st is simply the best opening hole on the Wild Atlantic Way
- Ballybunion Old Course : a course that does not need an introduction. Is there a better hole in golf than the 11th? .. ask Tom Watson
- Tralee Golf Club : Arnold Palmer designed. The 3rd green sits delightfully on the rocks with a round tower and ocean in the background
- Dook Golf Links : the walk from the first green to the second tee opens up some of the most stunning scenery on the island
- Waterville Golf Links : the best finishing hole the Wild Atlantic Way. A long straight closing hole with spectacular mountain and sea views
- Old Head Golf Links : the biggest ‘wow’ factor on the WAW. The ‘Razor’s Edge’ 4th hole is a classic. The views will simply blow your mind
Golf on the Wild Atlantic Way
The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland is the world’s longest defined coastal touring route and is home to some of the greatest golf courses on the planet. The Wild Atlantic Way alone is blessed with over 40 golf courses , a combination of world famous links classics and hidden gems .. not to mention beautiful parkland courses. As you travel north from the Old Head in Kinsale to Ballyliffin in Donegal, you will encounter some of the greatest golf courses in the world. Links courses such as Lahinch, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, County Sligo and Enniscrone regularly feature on the world top golf course listings.