In 2018, The Ballyliffin Golf Course played host to the Irish Open … and there is a good reason why. The challenging terrain is perfect for golf. Donegal is home to some of Ireland’s best links courses. In fact it is probably the luckiest spot on the planet … remote and beautiful, with an abundance of natural links courses.
Seven of the best links courses in Donegal:
- Ballyliffin Glashedy Course: Host of the 2018 Irish Open. Watch out for the 5th, a stunning par 3 with dramatic views of Glashedy Rock.
- Ballyliffin Old Course: When a golf club’s second course is ranked in the top 20 courses in Ireland, you know you are in for a golfing treat.
- Rosapenna Sandy Hills: The newer, tougher & longer of the 2 Rosapenna courses. The 6th and 10th are 2 of the standout holes among many.
- Rosapenna Old Tom Morris: Old V New. Original 9 designed by Tom Morris in the 1890s with the new nine designed by Pat Ruddy in 2009.
- Donegal Golf Club: Yet another links masterpiece. Sits on the Murvagh Peninsula . The Par 5 8th is the standout hole, but there are many.
- Narin & Portnoo Golf Club: The term ‘hidden gem ‘ is often misused … be prepared to be thrilled. The stretch from 7 to 15 is breathtaking.
- Portsalon Golf Club: One of the country’s oldest links set in a beautiful location. The 2nd is undisputably the best second hole in Ireland.
Golf on the Wild Atlantic Way
The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland is the world’s longest defined coastal touring route. It is also home to some of the greatest golf courses on the planet. The Wild Atlantic Way alone is blessed with over 40 golf courses , a combination of world famous links classics and hidden gems .. not to mention beautiful parkland courses. As you travel north from the Old Head in Kinsale to Ballyliffin in Donegal, you will encounter some of the greatest golf courses in the world. Links courses such as Lahinch, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, County Sligo and Enniscrone regularly feature on the world top golf course listings.
For further information on tours and how to include these courses in your golfing itinerary, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website for suggested golf trips at www.WildAtlanticGolfTours.com .